The Minds Inspired programme promotes STEM, which focuses on education in science, technology, engineering and mathematics. The puzzle this month is meant to stimulate thought and learning in science.
1. What is a large volcanic crater called?
(a) Caldera (b) Trench (c) Fumarole (d) Volcrater
2. What do you call an area of deposits where a river divides before entering the sea?
(a) Inlet (b) Basin (c) Delta (d) Levee
3. What is another name for a cave?
(a) Wormhole (b) Grotto (c) Trough (d) Den
4. The highest waterfall in the world is Angel Falls. Where is it located?
(a) Peru (b) Chile (c) Venezuela (d) Canada
5. What do you call a hollow rock with a cavity usually lined with crystals?
(a) Geode (b) Quartz (c) Tufa (d) Diamond
6. What is the largest continent on Earth?
(a) Africa (b) Antarctica (c) Asia (d) Europe
7. The Nile is the world’s longest river. Which one is the second longest?
(a) Yellow (Asia) (b) Amazon (South America) (c) Rhine (Europe) (d) Mississippi (North America)
8. What do you call the warm ocean current that flows along the equator off Ecuador in winter?
(a) El Niño (b) La Niña (c) El Porto (d) Doldrums
9. Mount Everest is the tallest mountain in the world at 29,029 feet. How tall is that in metres?
(a) 7,025 metres (b) 8,848 metres (c) 9,741 metres (d) 3,208 metres
10. What lives in a formicarium?
(a) Turtle (b) Ant (c) Butterfly (d) Bear
11. What is the most common gas in the atmosphere?
(a) Oxygen (b) Helium (c) Nitrogen (d) Hydrogen
12. What is the most common blood type in humans?
(a) O (b) A (c) AB (d) C
13. What is the largest living animal on the planet?
(a) Blue whale (b) African elephant (c) Humpback whale (d) Yeti
14. There are over 500 species of sharks. Which is the largest?
(a) Great white shark (b) Blue shark (c) Whale shark (d) Tiger shark
15. Conjunctivitis is a disorder of what body part?
(a) Brain (b) Eye (c) Liver (d) Conjunctive gland
16. Who first argued that the world was not flat?
(a) Aristotle (b) Magellan (c) Archimedes (d) Columbus
Rules: Competition is open to students 17 years of age and younger. To participate, complete the puzzle and email answer to: [email protected] Entry should include full name and age of the student. Deadline for entry is 23 February. Only one entry is allowed per person. One winner will be drawn from the correct entries. The winner will be notified by return email and will receive a $25 Camana Bay gift card. The winner’s name will be announced in the following month’s edition of Camana Bay Times. Answers to the puzzles and quizzes will be posted on www.mindsinspired.ky. Last month’s winner was: 11-year old Lauren C. from Cayman International School.