Ginger is synonymous with Christmas, from gingerbread houses to mulled wine to ginger cookies. Lola is also synonymous with the season thanks to its many festive treats, from the bistro’s beautifully decorated gingerbread houses to delicacies like stollen, vanilla crescent cookies and ginger cookies available individually or in batches. Chef and manager of Lola, Deb Pradhan, has shared her recipe for her chocolate-dipped ginger cookies to help spice up your cookie tray this holiday season.
Ingredients (makes 66 cookies)
1 tsp baking powder
1 ½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp ground cardamom
½ tsp ground cloves
Zest of two lemons
200g chocolate (for melting and dipping)
- Preheat oven to 300 F.
- Cream butter and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Add whisked egg bit by bit, making sure not to curdle the mixture.
- Add molasses and lemon zest to the mixture.
- In another bowl, combine the dry ingredients – flour, baking powder, ginger, cardamom and cloves.
- Combine with the wet ingredients and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Line a baking sheet with greased parchment paper.
- Roll the dough into 66 25g balls, place on the baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Gently temper the chocolate over a low heat.
- When cookies are cool, half dip them in the chocolate and place in the fridge to set. Enjoy!