Apple strudel is a traditional Viennese dish beloved by many for its fragrant spices, buttery melt-in-your-mouth layers of puff pastry and the comfort of warm baked apples.
It is popular at Christmastime due to the seasonal bounty of apples and the festive touch of cinnamon and is perfect served with a side of whipped cream, vanilla ice cream or – fittingly – gelato. Gelato & Co.’s apple strudel is beloved among visitors for its perfectly spiced apples and is best served slightly warm and with a scoop of vanilla gelato allowed to melt slowly into the strudel. Master gelateria and Gelato & Co. owner Stefano Franceschi shares his recipe so you can try this at home this Christmas season.
3 apples (Stefano recommends Roma variety)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 oz golden raisins
2 oz sugar
Zest of half a lemon
1 sheet of puff pastry
Butter and additional sugar to top
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Peel and thinly slice the apples.
- In a mixing bowl, toss the apple slices with cinnamon, raisins and sugar.
- Sprinkle the mixture over the sheet of puff pastry; fold pastry over top of the filling and seal gently.
- Dot butter and sprinkle additional sugar over the pastry.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve warm with a side of whipped cream or gelato.