By Darla Dilbert
To help you through the holiday season with all the parties and festive occasions, here are some step-by-step tips on how to apply professional looking make-up that will it last all day and into the night.
1) Cleanse your face and apply the right moisturiser for your skin type.
2) Apply a concealer around your eyes and any other areas if needed, followed by your foundation. If you have any blemishes or imperfections on your face, try applying your foundation with a damp sponge so that it will give you more coverage. Make sure your foundation is the right colour for your skin tone by asking a make-up expert for help. You want your foundation to blend with your skin and not make your face look too light or too dark. If your skin is oily, invest in a mineral blot powder that will absorb the oil without removing your foundation.
3) Smooth out your eyebrows with a brow brush and do a quick fill-in with your eyebrow pencil if needed.
4) For your eyes, first apply a neutral base eye shadow to your eyelids, followed by your colour of choice. To emphasise the colour of your eyes, these colour combinations are recommended:
- If you have brown eyes, use eye shadows that are shades of purple or green.
- If you have green eyes, eye shadows that are shades of plum work best.
- If you have blue eyes, look for eye shadows that are shades of copper, bronze, gold or other warm colours.
5) Follow the eye shadow with one to three coats of mascara, depending on the finished look you are aiming to achieve.
6) Next, apply a nice blush or bronzer on your cheeks anywhere the sun would normally kiss your face.
7) Your final step is to take a neutral lip liner to line your lips and then finish with a lipstick colour of your choice. If you want to emphasise your eyes, use a neutral lip colour. If you want to highlight brighter lips or red lips, then downplay your eyes. When in doubt, get advice or a lesson from a make-up expert.
Follow these steps and you will be ready for any special holiday occasion.
Darla Dilbert is the owner of Eclipze Hair Design & Day Spa and is a qualified cosmetologist and certified trichologist.
This article originally appeared in the December 2019 print edition of Camana Bay Times with the headline “Applying make-up like a pro.”